'TRANSYLVANIA - 2002'          

                                       Klara Amon and Gabor Zsoldos                               


 English      Magyar                                                                             Transylvania

In 2002 we organized a family tour to Transylvania.  Find attached our best PHOTOS.   
My brothers', my cousin with his wife, another cousin with her husband, an aunt and

our family; altogether 13 persons formed our traveling team.

Our goal was to visit Transylvania, where about 2 million Hungarians live, as minority.
Regarding history, Transylvania belonged to Hungary until the Treaty of Trinaon (1920).

Our destination was Gheorgeni (Gyergyószentmiklós), a town in the Hungarian-lived part.
We made excursions in the surrounding area. This was our ROUTE


                                                      Go to:   MAIN PAGE


Bányffyhunyad (Huedin).

We have seen several 'pagoda-style palaces' which might never be completed.

Kolozsvár (Cluj).
Statue of 
Hungarian King Matthias.

(ruled in the 15th century)

Kolozsvár (Cluj). 

Szt. Mihály church.
Built in 15th century.

The big square of the Orthodox church was flagged decorated with Romanian flags.


Our pension in Gyergyószentmiklós (Gheorgeni).

Our host Tivadar.

Our hostess Zita, and her youngest son Aron.

A beautiful and typical Székely-gate. 


The entrace of the Salt Mine in Parajd (Praid).

There are large halls in the salt mine.

The air of the salt mine is used for curing asthmatic diseases.
Patients are transported here by bus every day.

Our three car. 


A nice little lamb, and several big ones.

Monument of Orbán Balázs in Szejkefürdő.
He wrote the first travel book about the Land of Seklers (Székelyföld).

Each Székely-gate was donated by a person or group. 

Two wooden headboards (which are widely used symbols) are decorating the tomb of Orbán Balázs.


Still snow in the mountains.

Our traveling 'team'.

Killer Lake / Gyilkos-tó /Lacul Rosu
The lake lies in a fairy-tale scenery. The lake was born in 1838, when a land-slide blocked the way of the stream Békás, running in the valley.

You can still see in the water the tips of the pine trees flooded more than a hundred years ago, which did not decay, because the content of the water of the Killer Lake is so high in iron oxide and calcium carbonate that it preserved them.


Békás-szoros / Frog Pass
The most spectacular place in the East Carpathians.

 It is a 5 km long pass, with deep serpentine roads, cute brooks and waterfalls  running around, with high rocks of 300 m on both side.

One of the most beautiful cliff-walls is  Oltárkő (1200 m) .

Borszék is a village with medicinal baths. It is famous of its special mineral water (borviz) with sour taste.


Unfortunately Borszék today is totally abandoned.

There are many hotels, guest houses, restaurants, but all of them closed, being totally run down. 

On Easter Sunday we joined the Szekelys to celebrate. The tradition is to climb up a to a peak in dark down, and light a big fire. 

The ceremony (early mass) took place in the left church, in touching atmosphere..


103 Szekelys came together to celebrate. 

It was sunshine when we walked back to the town.

Our pension, and our kind host Tivadar (in the middle) 

Törcsvár (Bran) Castle was built in 1377.


The Castle is famous about Count Dracula, whose original name was Vlad Tepes.

The Castle has beautiful carved furniture.

These carvings are amazing! 

Count Dracula lived here and probably had some "Devilish" habits such as drinking human blood. But al least he was well-known of his cruelty.


Each corner of the castle was a subject of taking photos.

The castle has curvy stairs, corridors, small rooms, and a courtyard ... very romantic site.

Just click on this to read more about the history of this romantic castle. 

Orthodox Church in Tusnádfürdő / Baile Tusnad


Monument of Szekely martyrs, raised in 1899.

In 1764 in this village 200 Szekely men were killed here. All of them were fighting for their freedom. 

Dinner in the pension. 

Easter tradition. Village portals were decorated with color ribbons on Easter Monday.


Sowata. The world-famous Lake Bear (Medve-tó) is a warm water salt lake. Its area of is 433,000 sq. feet (40,235 m2), its greatest depth is 57.5 feet (17.5 m). The temperature of the lake is about 122—131oF (50—55oC). Bathing in the lake has therapeutic effects, healing various diseases, so many tourists visit the lake in the summer. Salt formats can be found around the lake.

Bözödújfalu / Bezidu Nou

In 1989 the government of that time decided to build a storage reservoire here. The damn was built up, and the village was flooded.

                                                      Go to:   MAIN PAGE